Tuesday 30 December 2014

190. overcome, crystal lake



On Sunday, there was a small heavy music festival in Shibuya. I met up with Laura first for lunch at Silkream, then we made our way to Shibuya THE GAME for the show. When we walked in, Ryo from Crystal Lake was performing with INFECTION. We both agreed it was good timing, since I was there for only Crystal Lake anyways.

We stayed for the next band called Say Hello To Sunshine which was softer sounding and went off to get coffee because we didn't bother about the next couple of bands playing and there was about a little over two hours to kill. I was really sleepy, tired and sore from lynch.'s show the day before. So we chilled a bit and waited for Anzu to arrive and headed back to the venue.

We got back to the venue and watched Castaway for a little bit and continued with Blindside, the mosh for this show was really brutal because most of the bands were really heavy, metalcore, grindcore, hardcore etc. After Blindside was an acoustic set by Kensuke Yamamoto and we all walked out to the smoking area since I wanted smoke.

Some of the guys in the other bands playing later on were outside smoking as well, and Laura introduced Anzu and I to some of them. The acoustic set felt like forever, everyone was complaining about how long it was. We didn't bother going inside for it because we didn't wanted to get sleepy, it also fucked up the schedule for the rest of the night.

Next up was A Ghost of Flare, I only know about them because they're on my suggested list on Youtube. They were really good live and had a lot of energy on stage, I really enjoyed seeing them. The only downside was maybe all the weird interludes to their songs, like whispering, musical box playing, kids crying and some I don't even know what it is? I don't know if I'll listen to them but will definitely watch them again.

Numb was next and they aren't really the type of band I would listen to but they were pretty good live, mosh was brutal again. At this point I was already counting down to see Crystal Lake because my back was aching and I was getting tired and sleepy again.

Crystal Lake took the stage about almost 9-ishpm when they were slotted for 8.30pm (the acoustic set really messed up the schedule), they opened to Rollin', followed by to my surprise Mahakala, mine and Laura's favorite song from CUBES. She was busy moshing, I just stood somewhere in the front at the side headbanging away. Overcome was next and then Beloved, which I recorded the entire song because the crowd was crazy. Ryo got pulled into the crowd, so he was singing on the ground for a little bit. They closed to The Fire Inside and even if it was such a short set I enjoyed myself and was happy I went because I was pretty hesitant at first (wanted the last show of 2014 to be lynch. cos I'm just crazy).

The last band of the night was Loyal To The Grave, though they also played music I don't normally listen to, I thought they were really good live and had fun. The mosh for them was the most brutal I guess because it was the last band? I fell down a couple of times and I wasn't even in the moshpit. Some girls literally fell over and the guys were helping them up. Also, I almost got kicked in the face by someone who crowd surfed. Have never been to any show that brutal in a long time.

After the show ended, Senta (vocal of numb) was asking Laura and I if we were okay because he saw that the crowd was really violent, lol. We went to look at merch and actually A Ghost of Flare's merch was really nice. We stopped by Crystal Lake's table for quite some time before heading out.

I'm happy I went to this show, it was such a good way to end the last weekend of 2014. lynch. + Crystal Lake on the same weekend? For me, that's perfect. Especially since my love for Crystal Lake has been growing rapidly. I'm not sure what shows or which bands I'm going to see in 2015 but I hope it'll be even better than the ones I saw this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment